Common Supply Pipes

Older properties usually terraced or semi detached often use common supply pipes, this type of supply has one stop tap with a main pipe running off it usually through the gardens of everyone feeding off it then a branch pipe that feeds each individual property and are generally made from lead.

The downsides to a shared supply  

This kind of supply can leave properties with poor pressure due to the demand placed on the common supply pipe by everyone drawing water off it. Other issues are that if theres a leak on the common supply, even if the leak is a few houses from yours then its down to everyone who shares off the main pipe to maintain and contribute towards the repairs of it.


How can i come off the common supply ?

The best way is to have a separate supply pipe installed into your property, this way you will benefit from the full flow of water from the mains in the road up to your new stop tap.

How do i go about having a separate supply pipe installed by WMD?

We will require a few property details including distance from the internal stop tap to the property boundary and surface finishes etc.

There’s 3 steps to taking your property off the common supply:

1. You will then need to submit a application to your local water authority for a new external connection, after the property has been accepted you can arrange for WMD’s engineers to install your new water supply pipe.

2. Once the installation is complete we will submit a certificate on your behalf to arrange for your local water authority to make the new external connection to your property.

3. Now that your new separate supply is connected and ready to go you will require a return visit to make a internal connection of your new supply and carry out a trace and disconnection, which is required to disconnect you from the old shared common supply pipe.

What is a trace and disconnection (T&D) & why does my property need one ?

You will require a t&d when your old water supply branch needs to be disconnected from the shared common supply pipe. If your branch is not disconnected then there could be a burst on it in the future leaving you responsible to repair the problem, and as a health issue water can sit inside the pipe and potentially become stagnant over time which could contaminate your neighbours drinking water.

Watermains & Drains UK carry out Common Supply Pipe Replacement in –

Manchester, Stockport, Macclesfield,  Warrington, Liverpool, Leeds, Sheffield, Bradford, Wakefield, Huddersfield, Stoke, Stafford, Nottingham, Leicester, Derby, Birmingham, Wolverhampton,  Preston, Blackpool, Southport, Altrincham, Crewe, Chester, Shrewsbury, Oldham, Wigan, Bolton, Bury, Blackburn, Cheshire, Lancashire, Merseyside, Yorkshire, Staffordshire….and beyond !

If you don’t see the area you live in then drop us a quick message and our team will be more than happy to provide you with a quote.